Wednesday, October 13, 2010

'A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow' - Charlotte Brontë

source

A few months ago I told you all about how I learned to sleep alone again when a five year relationship ended. It was strange and liberating to have a whole bed to myself again and I loved it. But then S moved out and I moved into her room - cause I really wanted the electric shower - and I found myself back on one side of the bed again.

How did that happen? I don't have another significant other, I'm not looking to make space for one in my life right now, so how the hell did I end up drifting back out to the edge of the mattress. I woke up one morning last week after another night of edge hugging and asked myself what was going on? And then I realised.... when I had made up my new bed I had automatically put the pillows into two piles at the head of the bed, and therefore I had automatically slept on one pile of them... on one side of the bed.

That evening I stripped the bed and as I remade it I carefully put just one huge pile of pillows at the top... and it worked. I was back in the middle of my bed.

Have you ever found that you do things out of habit that impact of the rest of your day?

3 comments:

  1. If I'm not paying attention I've a habit of walking a regular route even if I'm not going that way. I was heading down to visit my nan and ended up in college because I forgot to take a turn off :P

    One thing that I find strange is I always sleep closest to the door, unless that half of the bed is covered in cr*p ;)

    Which half did you sleep on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this room it was always the side furthest from the door, the same with the other room but at home I always sleep nearest the door. Strange isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!! i found very interesting your blogs, i hope you dont mind that i am reading them... Im mexican 27, living in Melbourne.. Im graphic designer and i will look for a job soon here..

    I enjoy heaps when i have all the bed for me.. thats means when my husband doesn't sleep with me :) but also, i love be in love with him! what a Paradox!

    xx

    ReplyDelete